A modern girl's attempt at dating the old-fashioned way - through referrals, set-ups, and chance encounters

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bowling for Love

Last night I went to my first bowling league night. I signed up for the league thinking it could be a good way to meet people and have some fun. The league is part of a low pressure, social sports group that organizes activities in addition to bowling. I joined a group like this when I first moved to Seattle and it was a great way to meet people. I played indoor and beach volleyball as well as flag football for probably four years. I stayed in touch with the people I met and hung out with them socially for some time.
I joined this league as an independent player so the league basically was responsible for pairing me up with a team. As per usual, I didn’t really think about all of this until I drove into the parking lot of the bowling alley. I saw a much older, gray haired man lumbering out of his car and heading into the building. I immediately realized that I had no idea if there were any perimeters to this organization. I didn’t know anything about who participates. I just assumed it was like the group I did when I was 24. Since my intention for signing up was less about improving my bowling score and definitely about meeting people to go on dates with, I panicked. My mind flashed to the team I would be paired with and I thought they might be a bunch of duds. I thought there might not be any social interaction except with my team and my five-week commitment of bowling could drag on. I reminded myself that I was here to have fun and not to take it too seriously. This is was a quick pep talk since I was already walking into the building as I gave it to myself.
Once I got into the building, I quickly saw that there was a wide range of ages and social groups. Perfect. I found my way to my team’s lane and waited to meet my teammates.
One by one my teammates showed up. I was the only woman there that night so it was three guys and me. They were all really nice guys and all engineers. Two had just moved to town and the other one had been here a couple of years. Guy #1, had just moved here for a job five months ago and was a recent college graduate. Guy #2 had moved here for a job two and a half years ago and worked at Microsoft. Guy #3, I will call Andy Roddick because he looks like Andy Roddick. I love Andy Roddick…the real one. For those that don’t know, he is a professional tennis player, one of the top ten in the world. I watch tennis tournaments just to see him because of his powerhouse serves and forward stance but also because he’s really cute.
Anyway, I think guy #3 or Andy Roddick, might have date potential. I have no idea how old he is but I’m guessing somewhere between 25-27. I think that’s an improvement on the Russian’s age. He seemed interesting and was pushing for all of us on the team to go golf. I explained I don’t golf and I would just slow them down but he insisted. We’ll see if I brave that adventure or push for something more my speed like miniature golf.
Either way, I'm glad I signed up for the league. I think it will be a lot of fun and there seems to be potential to meet a lot of people. Everyone took the night lightly and wasn't too serious about their bowling game. Thank goodness since that is just my speed, unlike one of my teammates, who owns a bowling ball.

1 comment:

  1. But...maybe it would be worth investing in your own bowling shoes!

    ReplyDelete